Rondanina is the smallest Commune of the Liguria Region.
The village is dominated by the Mount Bric di Rondanina
(1338 mt), featuring horizontal layers of calcareous
rock laid bare by ancient erosions whose deposit of stratum
is the impervious and steep basement on which the village
Ancient fief of the Fieschis, Earls of Lavagna, towards
the half the 13th century Rondanina was given to the
Republic of Genoa to become later part of Bobbio.
Rondanina belonged to the Province of Pavia up to 1923.
In ancient times the village was an important rest stop
and market place for merchants that from the plain used
to go down to the sea and back, with their products,
being Rondanina at the intersection of the traffic line
coming from Borbera, Staffora, Aveto and Scrivia valleys.
The village, originally risen along a main axle, developed
transversal runs that form an irregular plot, giving bigger
chances of aggregation to the housing cells in respect of the
ground topographical situation: these roads extend over to
the borders of the inhabited centre, becoming the paths leading
to pastures and cultivated grounds favouring a kind of strong
osmosis between architectural structure and natural environment
The parish church devoted to St. Nicola, set to the South
of the village, has been rebuilt towards the end of the 13th
century on a precedent Romanesque building of which the rests